The Great British Staycation: Summer at Home with Baby
We’re very much embracing the Great British Staycation this year – with the hot weather, there’s so much to discover in the UK in the summer sunshine. From the sandy beaches of Cornwall, to the white cliffs of Dover to the breathtaking Lake District there are endless places to explore. At Tom Pom Organic, we’re lucky enough to be based in the beautiful county of Surrey with views from the Surrey Hills as backdrops for picnic days, or swimming and splashing fun at the ponds in Frensham.
Enjoying the first summer with your baby is a huge milestone, and there are many happy memories to be made. To help stay safe in the summer sun we’ve included a few tips below on sun safety and cooling down:
- Keep baby in the shade when the sun is strongest. Even in the UK the sun in the summer is pretty strong for a baby’s skin between around 10am and 2pm, so find a shady spot for your picnic to keep baby cool, happy and safe from sunburn. If you do take them into the sun, find a rash guard to keep their skin covered.
- Never leave your baby in a hot car. Even if it’s just to pop in to pay for the petrol – babies can quickly overheat and it’s important to recognise some of the key early signs; the neck is overly hot to touch, their cheeks are flushed, baby is fussy or restless, and they seem to be lethargic. If you notice these signs, get your baby hydrated as soon as possible.
- If you’re still breastfeeding, they’re likely not to need water but may want to feed a little more often in the warm weather.
- Our Tom Pom Organic baby food rings can be enjoyed frozen as a teether for baby – a great way to stop them getting hot and bothered, whilst also soothing sore gums.
- Put those lovely summer clothes down! On a really hot day, baby can just sleep in a vest and nappy. The only thing they really need is a nappy when it’s really hot.
But most of all, go, explore and have fun! Making memories with your little one in the summer sunshine will be moments you treasure forever. Introducing baby to the beach provides a whole host of new experiences, textures and noises that will help their sensory development and curiosity. With the luxury of AirBnBs these days it makes it even easier to travel with babies, providing a great base camp with all of baby’s favourite toys & items and a great way to explore with other young families. Happy adventuring!