Pumpkin Spice Halloween Cupcakes
Time to table: 45 minutes
Servings: 14 cupcakes
Suitable for freezing: Yes (before frosting)
Dairy and nut-free
- 175ml vegetable oil
- 150g brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Zest and a squeeze of 1 orange
- 200g grated pumpkin or butternut squash flesh
- 225g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 100g sultanas
For the frosting
- 227g dairy-free butter
- 520g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Colouring or decorations as you like!
- Preheat your oven to 180℃
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, sugar and beaten eggs, vanilla and orange zest with some juice and grated pumpkin flesh.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the dry mixture slowly to the large bowl while stirring.
- Mix through the sultanas.
- Using two spoons, place batter into cupcake papers, or if making muffins (no frosting) can add to the greased muffin tin.
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until slightly brown.
- In a clean large bowl, add all of the frosting ingredients and beat for at least 5 minutes (up to 15 for really fluffy icing!)
- Add colour if desired.