How to dye pumpkin seeds
Roasting pumpkin seeds
- Clean the seeds by tipping them into a sieve and wash them under cold running water.
- Pull away what you can of the pulp, but it doesn’t matter if there is some left over. Once the seeds are boiled, the rest of the pulp will pull away by itself.
- Boil some salted water in a large saucepan, pour the seeds into the pan, and boil for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Drain on a kitchen towel.
- Toss the seeds into a bowl with some oil and some seasoning.
- Spread the pumpkin seeds evenly across a large baking sheet.
- Roast the pumpkin seeds at 180C/gas 4 for about 8 – 10 minutes.
Dyeing pumpkin seeds
- Mix ½ a cup of cold water and a couple of tablespoons of vinegar in several recyclable cups.
- Add a few drops of different food colouring into each cup until you get the colours you want.
- Pour some pumpkin seeds into each cup and stir the mixtures consistently for a few minutes to coat the seeds with food colouring.
- Let the seeds sit in the cups for around 30 minutes. If you would like the seeds to be lighter in colour, leave the seeds for under 30 minutes. For darker seeds, leave them in the food colouring for more than 30 minutes.
- Once you are satisfied with the colours, place the seeds onto paper towels.
- Let them dry overnight. If you want faster results, put the seeds in a microwave or oven, but make sure they do not burn.
- Check the seeds are dry before using them.